Friday, April 11, 2008

Putting ducks in a row

Need a break from Carbondale politics? Allow me change bloggy gears for a moment and discuss something that's on my mind...

Year after year, I'm the poor sap tasked with kicking off the WDBX membership drive, and this time around is no different. I'm always game for it-- on those early mornings, I begin the excruciatingly slow process of reminding Southern Illinois that WDBX is mostly listener-supported.

As you can imagine, I don't often meet with a lot of success during that first week. At best, I get a drunken caller asking for TAO's phone number. It's rather disheartening.

This time around the sun, I've resolved to do things differently. That's why I'm putting you all on notice now-- WDBX's membership drive begins at 4 a.m. Saturday April 19th, long before you'd normally be awake. It is my hope that you will rouse from bed, phone in your pledge, and thereafter count yourselves among the enlightened minority who support community radio.

Although being a member is its own reward, I'm going to sweeten the deal by giving something nice and musical to my first three new or renewing members.

Here's the number: 618-457-3691

(And hey, here's some WDBX in-use equipment, vintage 1975!)


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]