Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Councilwoman Pohlmann Comments

Below, with her permission, is the response I received from Councilwoman Pohlmann when I emailed asking for her viewpoint on the sales tax.

Sorry I didn't get back to you today by phone. I called yesterday when you were off and right now I'm getting ready for this evening's City Council meeting.
I understand the sales tax issue will be discussed at the August meeting.
Please let me know your position. I question the proposed use of the revenue from an increase in sales tax and I'm not sure that we need a full 1/2 percent.
Looking at our current budget, though, I think we probably do need a 1/4 percent increase to fund the needs of the city, but that's not including give-aways to SIUC. There are some who think we should go to a property tax to get the landlords (but they would just pass it on to the renters).


Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]